Moving Brands Beyond Reason Into Culture
Brent Smart, CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi New York, recently had the opportunity to be featured in Campaign Live and write about brands and their cultural presence, you can check out the full article here.
Brent believes that advertising is all about moving brands beyond reason and into culture. What does that mean? You must be ICONIC. A company may have recognizable brand assets, but for Brent, what really makes you iconic is how you use them. A brand may have existed for a long time, but “heritage brands” and iconic brands should not be confused. You’re only iconic if what you’re doing right now is in culture, and the truly iconic brands achieve an unfair share of culture.
BRENT’S SIX THINGS THAT MAKE AN ICON:
1. Instantly recognizable through their symbolism and language.
2. They transcend the rational.
3. Move people to share.
4. Have a point of view on the world.
5. Do stuff (from a brand management culture to a maker culture).
6. Move at the speed of culture.